UPM capabilities in research stems from its distinguished faculty and research-related infrastructure. PhD holders representing different scientific specializations mainly related to engineering, business and tourism, and computer & cyber sciences represent the driving force behind research activities. Research support in the form of organized workshops, mentoring students for research in graduation projects, and support in writing proposals is provided by the Department of Scientific Research and Graduate Studies (DSRGS). Currently, UPM offers only undergraduate studies. However, several postgraduate programs are under evaluation and study. UPM keeps track of research production through departments within different colleges under direct supervision of the DSRGS. Current state of research at UPM is viewed in terms of faculty involved in research, labs and facilities, national and international collaboration, and involvement of students in research. This is evaluated by the end of each academic year based on several qualitative measures including:
- Publication quality and quantity from each college and program.
- Citations rate in refereed journals from each college and program.
- Number of research award nominations.
- Total internal and external research funds.
- Number of interdisciplinary research grant applications.
- Number of new agreements with industry and academic institutions.
- Number of workshops and seminars aiming to improve faculty research skills.
The above measures provide a sense of direction where to focus research & innovation activities and associated funding in corrective action plans to establish internal consistency across all researchers within UPM in contributing to the same research & innovation goals.