Dr Syed Sadiqur Rahman
- PhD in Computer Science WMG, University of Warwick, Jul 2009 – Aug 2014 Thesis Title: Data Fusion for Human Intelligence and Crisis Management: Handling Untrusted Information Sources
- MSc in Internet Engineering University of East London, Feb 2002 – Oct 2006. Dissertation Title: Phishing Attack* * Distinction in Dissertation and another module (Average mark 64%).
- BSc (Hons) and MSc in Electronics and Computer Science Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh, Jan 1993 – July 1997
RECENT EMPLOYMENT AND EXPERIENCE
July 2016 – To date Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cyber Security, Dept. of Computing and Information Systems, University of Greenwich, UK
- I have been working in an EU funded collaborative project TRILLION (TRUSTED, CITIZEN - LEA COLLABORATION OVER SOCIAL NETWORKS). The main objective of my research in this project is to evaluate different aspects of cyber security and trustworthiness of information in order to improve Situation Awareness in the context of citizen - LEA (Law Enforcement Agency) collaboration while they are dealing with an incident. September 2014 – February 2016 Research Fellow, School of Electronics, Electrical and Systems Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK
- I worked in a European Union's FP-7 project CAPACITY4RAIL. The main objective of my research in this project was gathering Intelligence by harvesting and analysing Open Source Data (i.e. data openly available from different sources e.g. Social Syed Sadiqur Rahman 2/2 Networks, the UK Railway Industry, Ordinance Survey, etc.) in order to improve Situation Awareness, and identifying the requirements of data integration and data exchange between different railway and other modes of transport systems. October 2011 – June 2013 Visiting Researcher, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- As part of my PhD programme and the TEASE project, I worked with other researchers at the Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford. July 2012 – September 2012 Industrial Placement, Thales Research and Technology (TRT), Reading, UK
- The placement was part of my EPSRC CASE Award sponsored by TRT (UK). At TRT, I worked with other researchers of the TEASE (Trust Enabling Augmentedreality Support for information-Environments, www.tease-project.info) project and the topic that I worked on is ‘Evaluating Trustworthiness of Information from Untrusted Sources and Calculating an Overall Trustworthiness-Score’.
Awards / Achievement
· Syed S. Rahman, R. Heartfield, W. Oliff, G. Loukas, A. Filippoupolitis, Assessing the CyberTrustworthiness of Human-as-a-Sensor Reports from Mobile Devices, in The 15th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering Research, Management and Applications, London, UK, June 7-9, 2017
· Syed S. Rahman, John M. Easton, and Clive Roberts, Mining Open and Crowdsourced Data to Improve Situational Awareness for Railway, in The IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining. Paris, France, August 25-28, 2015
· Jason R.C. Nurse, Sadie Creese, Michael Goldsmith, and Syed S. Rahman, Supporting Human Decision-Making Online using Information-Trustworthiness Metrics. In Marinos, Louis and Askoxylakis, Ioannis (eds.), Human Aspects of Information Security, Privacy, and Trust. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 8030, pp. 316-325. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013.
· Syed S. Rahman, Sadie Creese, and Michael Goldsmith, Accepting Information with a Pinch of Salt: Handling Untrusted Information Sources. In Meadows and Fernandez-Gago (eds.), Security and Trust Management. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7170, pp. 223– 238. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012.
· Jason R.C. Nurse, Syed S. Rahman, Sadie Creese, Michael Goldsmith, and K. Lamberts, Information Quality and Trustworthiness: A Topical State-of-the-Art Review, in The International Conference on Computer Applications and Network Security (ICCANS 2011 ). Male, The Maldives, 27-29 May, 2011