Dr Somaya Adwan
- Dr.Somaya is an assistant professor at the Department of Computer Science, UPM University since 2017. She holds a Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, a Masters in Computer Science and information technology, a Postgraduate Fellowship in Biomedical Engineering.
- Dr.Somaya’s research interests are in Development of algorithms for the enhancement, interpolation, segmentation of medical images from various medical imaging. Bioinformatics research and methods, Image Processing, Computer Vision, Learning Systems, Pattern Recognition. Classification. Imaging Systems, Dynamic Systems, a lifelong learning system and Medical and Health informatics. She also has a keen interest in the development of personalized adaptive learning systems that consider behavioral, cognitive and psychophysiological factors that influence a student in real-time online learning-environments.
- Dr.Somaya has obtained her Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical and Computer Engineering in 2011
- The following are summary of the highlights from the working experience she has:
- Developed strong technical, analytical, critical, and complex problem-solving skills by working on diverse informatics, and IT projects with different roles.
- Five years of experience in the field of online learning, blended learning and learning management systems, with a good record of publications in that field.
- Proven track record with more than 14 years of experience in the field of information technology, knowledge management, handled the activities related to the sharing and storing knowledge.
- Participated in Solution architecture designing, Application integration, Technical solution design, Enterprise architecture, Information security architecture, Technical documentation and reports writing, Business case development, Business analysis, Processes modeling, Knowledge modeling, Workflow modeling, Functional and technical specification, etc.
- Worked on clinical workflow and integration software, business intelligence tools, e-commerce, clinical portal, disease management information system, Health Identifiers, and other IT projects for solution architecture, design, integration, and implementation.
- Practical hands-on experience of software system architecture designing, system analysis, knowledge management and system development, designing methodologies, web technologies, Search Engine Technologies, databases, UML modeling, Enterprise architecture, Solution architecture Information and knowledge modeling, IT Strategies.
Awards / Achievement
- Current Projects:
- Adjunct research fellow at the Center of Signals and Applications, University of Malaya, Malaysia- involved in a project entitled “Development of Automatic Stereology System for Biopsies of Orbital Inflammation Diseases”. (On going)
- Co-Investigator in a project entitled “Image Stitching Using Dynamic Time Warping (DTW) Technique towards Scoliosis Diagnosis”, Project No. (HICI-1434-611-4) Funded by Deanship of Scientific Research, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Completed).
- Co-Investigator in Project entitled “Phosphorene for ultra-short pulse laser generation”, Project funded by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST). (Accepted March 2015 started Jan 2016 On going)
- Learner's Guide to MATLAB: Solutions 4U training center, Klang Valley, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Image processing using MATLAB: Solutions 4U training center, Klang Valley, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Strategic Planning: EMC International Learning Centre. Sdn. Bhd. Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.
- Professional Project Management: EMC International Learning Centre (Malaysia)
- Art of Communication: EMC International Learning Centre (Malaysia)
- Microsoft office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint), Web development (PHP) ,Oracle Training (Database and report development system)